Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tri Tim put to the sword!

Those keen followers of Young Timmy's blog will be aware that the fella has recently been riding like Lance and swimming like Phelpsy so it was with trepidation that I fronted up to tonights ABC Pool biathlon for a sportsman's bet head to head with the all rounder. Those aware of my swimming abilities wouldn't have been too confident, but I reckoned that if I could get a minute on him on the run I might be able to hold on in the pool.

The biathlon involves a 4km run then a 300m swim (6 lengths of the ABC Pool). CT (recovered from last week's cold) set off quick and didn't let up. Some young kid went with him and I was struggling in third, thinking I'll come good in the second half. Slowly reeled in the kid by half way but he was stubborn until 3km when I finally gapped him. Finished the 4km in 13:03 (well behind CT in 12:43) but by the time I'd stripped off all my running gear (everyone else ran topless and in budgies) I was third in the pool. Managed 20m of freestyle before I switched to breaststroke. Seemed like an eternity of struggling up and down the pool with guys coming flying past whilst I desperately checked if any were Timmy. But eventually finished in 19:29 for 7th place. Not bad for a Pom, but best of all Young Timmy was chicked in finishing in 20:48. The poor fella was well ashamed afterwards, sobbing into his beers in the Woolloomoolloo Bay Hotel, dreaming of elaborate ways to eventually beat me in a bet.

Buggered afterwards. The run was tough and there's no way I could have gone with CT but the swim afterwards just fatigues every bit of you.

1 comment:

David said...

You ran in a Vest and Shorts!!
So modest!
It would have been hilarious to have seen you transition and go from free to Breaststroke!
Well done on beating Tim and keeping your unbeaten record! Is that 8 - 0 head to head?