Sunday, November 07, 2010

Run for Fun 10km

Rocked up a bit late (but didn't cut it as fine as Richie P!), waited for ages for the toilets, put my bag in the baggage area, went for a jog in the new flats, realized I'd left my orthotics in my bag, panicked, recovered bag, by now had 5 mins left. Posed for a photo with Benny St, Tucks and JF (Timmy, that's one for the pool room) and then lined up next to Tucks and JF. Fenton tried to chat up Clare Geraghty on the start line and, when she showed no interest, out-psyche her with tales of his recent training exploits.

And we were off. 1km in 3:08 just behind Tucks, Chadi and Thamal. 2km in 6:17 with Tucks having gapped me and running with a chap in an Australian triathlon vest (who I didn't get a chance to recognize but who said after the race we'd resume hostilities on Wed). 3km in 9:38, 4km in 13:10 (long drag of a hill), 5km in 16:30 and I can hear the familiar quick footsteps of Lara Tamsett closing in on me quickly. 6km in 19:53, Darren Moyle having gone past with Lara and dragging Aus Tri guy with them, 7km in 23:20, then the drag of a hill comes that I hate in the Striders 10km course but I put an effort in and catch Aus Tri guy, feeling really good now. Pass Darren and try to close on Tucks on the log straight of Australia Ave, turn for the stadium, see my 9km split of 30:11 and realize I have to run a 3:16 final km to win $100 off the Tiger. Head down, now some unknown Strider over takes me! (Quentin Reeve), sprint in with him into the stadium and he pips me on the line. 33:25. Not a sub 33 but pretty pleased as I haven't raced properly in a while. Feel much better now and more confident for Wed/Sat.

Good to catch up with all the lads afterwards. Tucks finished on 33:23, Chadi just under 33, JF on 34:22 having taken a wrong turn (!), RP, Enda, Jamie and cheers to Young Timmy for the shouts from the sidelines.

Should particularly mention a great PB by Mike Race smashing through 37mins to run 36:30.

2 comments:

Superflake said...

Reeve has the same time as you, but one place ahead. Good run Tom.

David said...

You have hit a purple patch that has seemed to come out of nowhere ! Appreciating all the hard miles you have put in but it just seems you have stepped up a notch - Well Done!