Saturday, October 06, 2007

Striders 10km Homebush

3rd in 33:30.

This could turn out to be my best race of the season. Went into it pretty low key, just hoping to go and race Anthony and Tucks and not worry about the time.

Started quite conservatively and just tucked in behind Tucks. Tom do Canto had shot off like a hare with Jeremey Horne running one of his tempo sessions in 2nd. Went through 1st km in 3:12 with Tucks and Anthony with Chelli just behind. 2nd km (which includes the long drag) reached in 6:36 and Chelli had just dropped off so from then on it was just like every other training session I do with Tucks, Anthony and I running together. Only difference was the absence of Serg in front and Ray chatting away. Quite missed his conversation today!

It stayed like this until 6km. 3km was reached in 9:55, 4km in 13:20 and 5km in 16:45. As usual for Homebush, the conditions were humid but at least there was no wind. At 5km I thought we'd struggle to crack 34 mins given how the humidity normally drains energy in your legs. I started to struggle up the long drag between 6 and 7km. Tucks pushed at the top of the hill and Anthony went with him. I knew that if I dropped off then the elastic would break and I'd run a poor time so I forced myself to catch up and just sit behind Anthony and hold on without trying to force the pace. Recovered on that stretch between 7 and 8km such that I was feeling good again by 8km, so forced the pace. I could feel that I was dropping them so just continued to pile on the pressure. Tucks had latched on to me again by 9km though so the race was on. Just what I'd been dreading - a sprint finish.

I'd thought before the race that if I could hold onto them by 8km I quite fancied my chances in a sprint. By 9km my thoughts were the exact opposite. We rounded the hairpin to climb onto the bridge for the final 300m run to the finish and sure enough Tucks drew level. I just gave it everything I had then, thinking that if he beat me I couldn't blame myself. Just managed to hold on.

Chuffed to bits afterwards. The time wasn't special but it was never going to be in today's conditions. First time I've beaten Anthony and first time I've beaten Tucks when he's been fit (...I'm ignoring the fact he ran a top quality marathon 2 weeks ago for the time being). Both are easily capable of running sub 33 so I'm sure that will come in time. Great to run this race against the lads - we were saying afterwards that if we hadn't been there to push each other along we'd have all run at least 30 seconds slower.

Good to catch up with everyone afterwards including Springer, Flake, Uncle Dave, Tim L and Chelli. Didn't see TJA afterwards - Tim L suggested he pulled up between 5 and 6km so hope he's OK.

3 comments:

Superflake said...

Great run today Tom. Good to hold off Tucks as well.

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Sounds like a gutsy run.

If you keep your form, your team may be a chance of challenging Thales in the JPMCCC.

PB

Anonymous said...

very good run. would have to be sub 33 in better conditions.
No problems with me. Just felt terrible on sat so i pulled the pin. I know its soft, but i was in an embarrasing amount of trouble
TJA