Sunday, August 26, 2007

Pub 2 Pub

A big night on Thursday at the AAR alumni event plus a big client lunch on Friday wiped out most of the Friday and Saturday and meant I went to bed on Sat night doubtful as to whether I'd show up for this race. But it was a beautiful morning and Charlie had me up by 5.30am so I put on the racing flats and jogged to the start at Dee Why (catching a bus to Long Reef).

Met up with TJA before the the race and heard about his flu over the past week so I guessed he wouldn't be pushing it. Fascinating start as everyone tries to get to the hard sand while avoiding the surf. It was pretty manic to begin with - had sand flicked in my eye and by the time I'd dealt with that we were already heading off the beach. Jeremy Horne took the lead and I settled into second with Charlie Low, TJA and one other I didn't recognise. From Long Reef golf course until crossing the lagoon at North Narrabeen I just tried to force the pace all the time and drop members of this little group. Crossing the lagoon Charlie pushed on and I couldn't keep with him, he then seemed to accelerate up the hill to Turrimetta Beach (which was a real bugger of a hill - steep and dragging) and by the top had about 15 seconds on me in less than a km. I sensed that TJA and A.N.Other had dropped off the pace here as well as I couldn't hear them but daredn't look around.

From then on I just tried to maintain 3rd - stretching out on the flat sections and just putting my head down up the hills. Really appreciated the shouts from Richard High at the bottom of the Mona Vale hill as it's another tough one. (Also had a couple of shouts which were well appreciated from 2 cyclists when running through Collaroy Basin - couldn't identify them due to the helmets and sunnies).

It's a fantastic course. The views are so good at the top of the hill at Turrimetta Beach and again running down towards Mona Vale hospital that you can still appreciate them when in some pain.

Didn't get my time. Something around 47 mins I think. It's irrelevant as no-one knows the course distance and is different from last year. Jeremy ran 44 something and I guess Charlie was about 40 seconds in front of me.

About 20km all up including the 6km run to the start.

[Time was 45:58 - pretty pleased given the times of those around]

2 comments:

Hamburglar said...

Congrats Tom on a great run.

The cyclists at Collaroy were Richard High and myself, we watched you guys go past a few times (Collaroy, Narrabeen, Mona Vale)and then leapfrogged etc.

We were saying how you looked pretty comfortable.

I bet your glad you got out of bed!

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the 3rd place. Plenty of nice flat scetions on that course, especially the Collaroy/Narrabeen section. But the beers at the Arms are excellent.