Sunday, August 12, 2007

City to Surf

Bugger.

Finished not sure where in 48:01. I'll get all the excuses in first - a number of people ran slower (or a lot slower) than I expected - including Serg, Chris Truscott, Ray, Mike, Durante and Richard P. But the people I was expecting to be competitive with and run quick lived up to expectations - Chadi, Tucks (in a fantastic 46:45) and Anthony (in an equally impressive 47:32).

I set off fine running the first km quick and heading into Edgecliff Tucks, Anthony, Darren Benson and I were running side by side. Then going up the Edgecliff hill they just pulled ahead and I couldn't do anything about it. I told myself that I'd come good after Heartbreak Hill and that I just had to hang in but the legs just weren't there today. Started to pick up a few places around Rose Bay and always had Anthony in sight but come Heartbreak Hills I lost a couple more places - from blokes who went on to run sub-47:30 so it wasn't a question of starting too slowly. Hit 7km in 24:45 (18 seconds up from last year) which I was disappointed with but then looking back this meant that I still ran the back half slower than last year. Overtook Anna Thompson at the top of Heartbreak Hill and from then on I was running by myself. Tried to put it in along Military Road but I wasn't bridging any gap with Anthony - if anything, from here he was getting stronger as a couple of blokes he was running with fell of the pace and I overtook from 9-11km. Managed a decent finish but then felt guilty for not having tried harder earlier on.

Most disappointing thing is that I normally perform to expectations in the big events and this is the first time that hasn't been the case. It's hardened the resolve to knuckle down to training and catch a few more people next race though.

For the disappointment of the run, the post race entertainment made up. Great to catch up with so many people afterwards, including Springer (another great run showing he's getting back to form and great hospitality in going out of his way to get us free beers in the Deutsche Bank tent), 26miles, Ray (who was probably as disappointed with 48:51 as me), Mike, Durante, Uncle Dave (good to see him back in action), Tim Cradock (who had a great run - how can anyone run 36:10 in a 10km the week before and then back up with a 49:01 C2S?) and particularly MPH who then led me on to the Hotel Bondi for a few more refreshing ales.

Love this event but it wasn't to be this year.

1 comment:

Superflake said...

You forgot to mention it was a 9sec PB! Still a good run on a hot day. Take a minute or two off next year with a cooler day. Sorry to be close to predicting the 47:57 for you. Didn't think I would be so close. Next year crush the course.