Sunday, November 27, 2016

HuRTs Beer Mile

Fast becoming the most popular event on the HuRTs Calendar, this was the third running.  And we've now had 3 different winners.  Which proves what a leveller this race really is.  I think about 33 people showed for this one.  In the mid-afternoon some big money came in on Barts at 12 to 1, so after a brief discussion, seasoned bookies Timmy and myself decided to take the bet.  So the rest of the afternoon was spent worrying about whether we had misjudged Barts' poor drinking skills and would find ourselves $1200 poorer by 6.30pm.  Fortunately, 10s into the first beer Timmy and I knew that our money was safe.  He took even longer to finish his first beer than me.

Leaders (in a close race) at this stage were Fast Charlie, the Cap'n, Toby, Renaud and Killa.  The latter would go on to win it based on drinking time alone.  My dark horse Toby lived up to expectations finishing 2nd, with Fast Charlie, the Cap'n and Renaud rounding out the top 5.  Meanwhile, back in the mediocre pack I was having a head to head contest with Fats having dropped Barts early on.  Finishing the last beer and getting my burps out of the way, I could see Brendan and Darren up ahead and decided to try to sprint them down.  Darren turns around after 200m and starts laughing saying "ooh, here comes Tommy!" in a mocking tone so it was all on from there.  I think I ran my fastest 200m in 30 years but edged out by Brendan on the line.

Spent the next 5mins on all fours.  Then started abusing the officials during the presentation (plainly the alcohol was kicking in).  Then a great night at O'Malley's ensued.  

Hats off to the girls relay teams who showed us how to drink.  The Irish plainly can't hold their booze with Enda and Jac both having to run penalty laps.

The winners:

 

The Participants:

 

Taking sweet winnings:

 

Telling one of my funny jokes:

 

Richie High!!

 

No comments: