Saturday, February 07, 2015

Striders 10km Homebush - 3rd in 33:10

With Kirst learning how to mediate divorces, I was flying solo with the kids today.  Decided that the best way to get the race in was to put the kids on water hand-out duty and bribe them with breakfast and a trip to Homebush Aquatic Centre afterwards.  Was hoping that my 2 bets with Timmy - giving him a 3:20 headstart and my backing of Macca over Enda - would give me enough money for brekkie.  In fact, I'd offered Timmy the alternative of buying us all breakfast if he lost both bets (and had refused the kids any food this morning just to get them extra hungry).

Showed up a bit late due to organising the kids and only had time to squeeze in a couple of km warm-up.  But bumped into Craig, Macca and Enda and could see there was a good HuRTS turnout, with even Richie High on show and Kenny and Eoin making long awaited comebacks.

On the start line, man-handled Claudia out the way wanting a last second cuddle, then we were off.  Matt Hudson and Dave Criniti sprinted off with Neil P in their wake.  I was next and noticed Lewis immediately tucked onto my shoulder so knew what his game plan was from the off.  Was aware that there were a few others on the back of the group but not sure who they were.  Neil was pulling ahead until 3km when the gap to Lewis and I (and a.n.other) settled.  Then on the horse track one of the runners from behind takes the gravel with Lewis while I stick on the path and who is it but Hoey!  Holy Crap!  He's obviously taken my 10km race advice to heart and been aggressive from the off.  Now I'm worried, as Hoey is a notorious negative splitter and, on this course, I have a fairly standard 30s positive split.  Hoey goes ahead of Lewis and I and starts doing all the work.

Continues on this way through the start finish area for the end of the first lap (Lewis later says it was 16:30 at 5km) and I get a big shout from the kids and we're catching Neil.  However, even at 7km Neil is holding a 10m gap and Hoey is inching closer to him and away from Lewis and myself.  So I make a big effort here to catch them.  Then remember what Macca and Craig were saying last week about not sitting behind someone when you catch them so I immediately go ahead of them and try to push on.  I'm aware though that Hoey is just sitting on my shoulder.  But he doesn't go ahead.  I'm sure with more confidence, and race experience, he would have as I reckon he was feeling better than me at that stage.  I'm not sure he could have felt any worse.  But the longer he sticks behind me the more chance I think I have.  So we get to the mini-climb onto the bridge, I hear Gary shout something like "drive forward!" and I just concentrate on sprinting for as long as I can.  Thankfully, the footsteps behind get quieter and I hold on for 3rd.  Embarrassingly, there was even a mini-celebration, as evidenced here:


Hoey came in 5s later for a massive minute PB - and a huge step forward.  He'll run low 32 on the State 10km course in May.  A big thanks to him.  With his relentless pace we were able to catch Neil which I'm sure I wouldn't have done running solo.

But then the real interest came.  How did my NOTB Irishman do against the soft SOTB Irishman?  Well, despite Macca giving it his all Enda came in 6s in front of him.  Both went sub35 so the competition worked in both of their favour.  I just feel for the kids who lost out on another meal and had to make do with begrudgingly offered scraps from Enda's cinnamon muffin at breakfast later.

A good run by Justin in 36:09 and great first runs back from Kenny and Eoin in mid 36.  Anna Fitz also had a good first run return in 37:35 just behind Timmy's 37:34.  I keep on telling the fella that he needs to do more of the sessions he hates - the longer tempos - if he's to get back into the 36's.  You can lead a horse to water...

So, Timmy and I were even for the day.  But my man Macca will be back.  He doesn't take defeats well, especially when he's forced to pose for a photo with the SOTB pretender wearing this T-Shirt:


So a top morning all round. Nice breakfast with the Irish "E"s of Eoin, Enda and Eamo before all scaring our younger kids shitless with giant buckets of water.


3 comments:

David said...

A good to start to the series Tom, what goals have you got for the year?

Unknown said...

Gold Coast Marathon in July Dave. Plus would love to dip under 32 for 10km if the opportunity ever arises.

Unknown said...

Great run mate. I did take your advice to heart and attack early.

You looked way too comfortable that last 2km for me to start doing funny things (like surging).