Saturday, October 04, 2014

Homebush Striders 10km - 5th in 33:31

So, up early doors and out in the Landcruiser to pick up the Manly running crew.  First up, Ben and Grumpy Justin, then Dicky and Macca.  Grumpy Justin first complained about the radio, declaring that he couldn't abide talkback radio (despite the fact we were listening to Nova).  Then he complained about the heated seats (I find they warm my hammies nicely).  Plainly he wasn't eagerly anticipating the race ahead.

Lined up after a 4.5km warm up with the boys and realised the front 5 was likely to be exactly the same as last month, with Wildman, Neil P, Uncle Dave and Alex Rogers all toeing the line.  The gun was about to go, Timmy positioned himself right in front of me so I manhandled him out of the way and we were off.

Now, when camping with Toby Cogley last week, he was extolling the virtues of taking caffeine tablets before a race so today I gave it a go.  I took 2 No Doz half an hour before the race.  Alex and Steve stormed off with Neil chasing and Dave and I chasing him.  At 1km Dave starts to close so I go with him.  We hit the hill and I'm catching everyone, feeling magic.  At the top of the hill I decide to give Steve a scare by taking the lead so he responds in anger.  At this point, the caffeine wears off, Neil, Dave and Alex come past and I start panting.  They pull ahead, I try to regroup, and from here on i'm running solo.

It must have a pretty quick first 2km.  No idea what I went through 5km in but I'd guess 16:20 as I slowed down A LOT on the second lap with no one to chase.  Every corner I'd have a sneaky look behind to see if Lewis and Hoey were catching but fortunately the gap was fine.  Regrouped a bit towards the end, particularly after seeing Timmy enter the horse track when I was coming out and thinking I had a chance at the 3:55 head start bet.  Was pretty happy with the 33:31, only 2 seconds shy of my course PB.  I hate this course and never run well on it.  It always picks up any humidity (and there was plenty this morning).  But less pleased about going from 2 to 5 in the finishing positions compared to last month.  But to be fair, I've had an average couple of weeks training in that time and the other boys are getting better and better (Neil ran a PB today which is sensational on that course and in those conditions - watch out Chicago).

Timmy held on for a 3:45 gap - another close one in our history of fair bets.  Stevie and Enda - take note.  Stevie ran a great 32:18 holding on to the win from a fast finishing Dave.  Will be great to see what he can do with some more training.  Other notable runs from Dicky in 35:59 and a slow starting Hoey in a low 34.  He hasn't run many 10kms and will learn the need to attack from the start.

Another 4.5km warmdown before coffee and muffins in Manly with Ben, Macca and Slightly Less Grumpy Justin.  He still wouldn't allow WSFM or KIIS, and I didn't dare twiddle the seat warmer knob, but at least he was slightly more conversant (albeit frightening the family away from our table with his fruity language).

The Northern Beaches crew:

Dicky, honorary beaches man Stevie, Yours Truly, Ben, The Grumpy One and Macca.


In form man Neil, flanked by a couple of pretenders:



No comments: