Monday, June 16, 2014

Launceston 10km - 21st in 32:07

At the start of the year I wanted to concentrate on 10kms.  Hadn't been under 33 since September 2011 and it's a distance I've got a lot of respect for - running a good 10km is bloody hard. So a lot of the year had been planned around Sydney10 and Launceston.  Was feeling in good shape in the past couple of weeks so was pretty nervous and excited heading down to Tassie.  Great crowd down there with Timmy, Birchy, Dr Skins, Robbie, Quentin (and Carla), LJ, Elle, Jackie and Charlie K all making the trip.  Sized up a pasta place for the evening, checked out the arctic monkeys and froze our arses off before tucking in early for a good nights sleep.

Managed a breaky in the morning due to the relatively late start of 10am and even managed to watch England's first half v Italy.  Then we were off to the start, good warm up before I plonk myself on the front cuddling a couple of Kenyans while Timmy is still out stretching in front of the start with Liam Adams and co.  Then we're off.

Steady myself in the huge rush.  It's a slightly downhill start which makes it super quick.  Then I can't quite believe how quickly a front pack forms and how quickly they gap me.  I'm leading the second group and by 1km they already have a 40m gap on me.  And I can see from the lead car that I've just run 3:00 for the km!  Quite a few must have dropped off as by 1.5km I'm aware that there's only 1 chap on my shoulder, huffing and puffing like an old man.  It was like running with Macca!  Keep trying to maintain a quick pace.  It's a beautiful cold morning with no wind so I'm not fussed about this chap sitting on me.  I can sense him coming alongside every now and then which just keeps me honest.  It stays this was until the half way turnaround.  No idea as to time as I'm not wearing a watch as usual but work out after I must have gone through in about 15:48 ish.  At the turn I see a bit of a gap to Robbie (he goes through in 16:00) with further gap to a group headed by Quentin.  Give them both a bit of a shout then put my head down and start working to get back home.  But now it starts to hurt.  Mr Huff and Puff is doing more turns at the front now as we start to pick some blokes that have been spat out of the initial lead group.  I start to repeat my mantra - just hold on for one more km.  Mr Huff and Puff will drag me to a quick time and keep that lead over Robbie.  After what seems an age running through fields, suddenly we're back in Launnie and there's only one km to go.  Mr Huff and Puff gaps me but I put in an effort over the little railway bridge and we're turning into the home straight.  Now it's just head down and sprint and, what do you know, there's a couple of Kenyans coming back to us!  Just fail to catch them on the line.  Give Mr Huff and Puff a hug and tank him for dragging me home.  Ask him what time we did (there's no clock on the line and I'm running watchless as usual) but he doesn't know.  Arghhhhhh!

Quentin now comes in running a great back half to pick up Robbie at 8km.  He's back under 33 with a 32:46.  Then Robbie comes in on 33:01 and it's a bit of a gap to Charlie K on a very good 35:39 - this lad will be quick with a bit of training.  Then LJ comes wheezing over the line on 36:04.  She's had a cold all week but looks disappointed not crack 36 - even though it's a road PB!  Then Dr Skins (we're still trying to work out the nickname) on 36:40 and Timmy then comes in with a slightly disappointing 37:30.  The Birchy running to his Central Governor in 38:40.  Next up is Elle running a great 39:04 (she'll be under 39 very shortly) and then Jackie with a 2 minute PB of 40:39. 



Here we are immediately post race - Quentin, Birchy, me, Timmy, Charlie K, LJ, Skins, Jackie, Robbie and Elle.

 

Timmy spoiling the picture with the glamour couple Quentin and Carla.

So then we had a bit of a jog, bit of a shower, found the only breakfast joint open in Launnie (you're not allowed to call it Launceston apparently) on a Sunday, then the gents retired to the nearest pub whilst the ladies (and Birchy, honourable girl that he is) went to powder their noses.  Quite a while later they showed up whilst we were already half cut.  Here they are below, looking delighted with their results off coach CT's training plan. 


Then we went to the classy James Boags brewery and from there all class went out of the window as we ended up in the Irish pub, called "Irish" as far as I could tell.  I cut some fine moves on the dancefloor but Timmy seemed to be getting all the attention.  I won't post the offending photo.
 
All in all a top weekend.  The punters were happy.  LJ took home $450 from it, superstar that she is these days.  I have a feeling Launnie could become a regular fixture.

5 comments:

Easy Tiger said...

Jumped right up to the big boys, 4sec faster than Copey and only 9sec slower than Pete Costello from Sydney 10 off the back of his 2nd 31:07 at NSW 10,000m Champs.

Enda said...

Outstanding Tom. You can teach the rest of us a lot about racing. Poor Barts is distraught... Why don't you take a long and well deserved break in Europe with no running whatsoever...!

Charlie said...

Great run Tom!

Dr Skins is named for his early and enthusiastic adoption of compression wear. It is not due to his other profession as a Mohel.

David said...

Terrific performance Chairman

BeerMatt said...

That's a great run Tom. Many congrats. So is our first under 32 bet on?