Wednesday, June 25, 2014

HuRTS Commonwealth Games Time Trial - 3rd in 15:28

PWell, tonight was one of those bizarre but hugely enjoyable evenings that, 7 days ago, you'd never be able to predict.  It was about then that LJ sent around an email asking if a few of the squad could pace for Eloise Wellings and Emily Brichacek.  They were looking to do a final 5000m hit out before heading for some altitude training in St Moritz and then on to Glasgow where they're both competing in the 5000m in the Commonwealth Games.  It's the sort of opportunity you don't turn down (even all the way down in Sylvania Waters) especially with free Crust Pizza and a singlet thrown into the bargain.

So I picked up Quentin (and Carla), Barts and Muz from work and drove down.  I'd been bricking myself all day and was no less nervous on the trip.  Luckily the wind had died down quite a bit and it was cool.  Did a few laps warmup then bumped into Eloise who had revised down the required pacing through 3000m from 9:09 to 9:12.  So on the start line it was Emily and Eloise, Barts, CT, Muz, Quentin, Crossy, myself and two chaps called Luke and *bad tempered bloke*.  David Tarbottom from Athletics NSW was filming and timing, and then Jock (from Jock Athletic - coaching Eloise) announces Steve Waugh as the starter.  Barts and I look at each other and point to Waugh mouthing "It's Steve Waugh!" while Quentin (an American for those who don't know him) looks on rather nonplussed. 

So we had to run 73/74's.  I put my hand up to run the first 2 laps knowing they're the easiest.  Steve Waugh tells us to go (with little warning it must be said), I stumble, nearly pull a hammie and rush to the front only to find bad tempered bloke flying off way too quick.  Try to slow things down, bad tempered bloke drops back and we go through in 73.  Next lap the same.  Then Quentin comes to the front and does a 72, then slows a bit so I reassume front running duties.  First km 3:05. Second km 3:05.  Third km 3:05.  I'd felt great to 3km but then I start to count the laps to go - 5 now, that's not too bad.  But it's starting to hurt.  Each time we get down the back straight Eloise shouts "faster, faster!" and I swear that if I hadn't had an Olympian shouting at me I'd have been running 2s a lap slower.  At some point here CT comes past and does a lap and a bit in front before I go back again.  Then with 1km to go I'm hurting and must be slowing as Eloise shouts "Tim, move aside" and I'm thinking "who he fuck is Tim and why's she shouting at him" before Truscott yells "TOMMY MOVE OUT".  So I do and the girls go through looking super smooth so I tuck in behind but they start to gap me.  I can see CT's shadow just behind so I know it's now a race between him and me.  Dig in to 600m to go thinking it's only half of Farm Cove to go now.  Then at 400m I give another push and see that CT has dropped off.  At 200m I'm catching the girls again but into the home straight they are racing each other and it's too late to catch.

Chuffed to bits with the time.  An 8s PB and another of Dad's PBs knocked off.  In fact, the last.  I can now retire.  Pleased to beat the boys too, albeit with all of them on the comeback trail.  It's not often we all get to race together like this, especially on the pressure cooker of the track.  Final results were:

Emily Brichacek:  15:26 (PB)
Eloise Wellings:  15:27
Tom Highnam:  15:28 (PB)
Chris Truscott:  15:35
John Bartlett:  15:38
Quentin Reeve:  15:42
Bad Tempered Bloke:  15:47
Andy Cross:  15:51 (PB)
Anthony Murrell:  16:18

So we all do a warmdown and Eloise tells us she's going to St Moritz next week so I tell her I'm going to Switzerland on Friday.  Held back from telling her I'm also going to be in Gateshead where the Aussie training camp is and Scotland as I thought she might think I was stalking her.  Then on to Crust Pizza in Cronulla for free pizza and chat with the boys and LJ.  Eloise gives quite a moving speech thanking all her support crew, her new friend Emily and the pacers.  I noted the use of the plural but picked up on the fact she was only looking at me.  Then her father-in-law gave a speech and I made a mental note not to speak at any of my kids, or their spouses, gatherings.

But a fab night.


The boys




Our official starter

1 comment:

David said...

Awesome run Tim!
Magnificent form your in.
I 'read it' that Steve Waugh was running!!