Tuesday, February 28, 2012

HuRTS 4 x 10mins

Today was brutal.

Hottest day of the summer (33C but we had no shade) and one of the toughest sessions we do. The usual front group of Bartles, J-Fen, Scotty, Tucks and Fats with Fast Charlie also around. Went through the first km in 3:17 and I was pretty much red-lining. Finished at the gates in exactly 10:00. On the second rep Scotty, J-Fen and Bartles pushed a bit harder to finish a few seconds in front while I ran 9:49, with me trying to save something for the third. However, I grabbed some water, jogged back for the start of the third rep and seriously contemplated uppnig stumps there and then. Decided to run it easy, then saw that everyone else was doing the same and somehow drifted to the front. I then felt pretty good on the hills but the pace was slower and we ended the 10mins at the lamppost before the Robbie Burns statue, this time just with Bartles, J-Fen and Scotty. Not sure what happened to Fats, but Fast Charlie stopped after 2 reps and Tucks did the same, remarking that he couldn't even summon the energy to run back to the office.

Not sure what happened to me after that, but I certainly couldn't summon the energy to run with the front 3 back on the final rep so just ran through it at 4:00 pace in 11:07. But even that was a struggle. I was wandering all over the place after I finished but was lucky enough to jump into the harbour with the rest of the squad to get the core temperature down. Feel like crap now, nauseous and light-headed.

4 comments:

Fats said...

Glad I wasn't the only one suffering. For some reason I got confused and thought we were doing 5 min reps, so halfway through the second I was gone. No recovering in that heat.

By the way, I want to know how many minutes you're going to give me at six foot?

Unknown said...

Let's go on respective PB's, so you give me a 25min headstart. I'll discount the few extra seconds. Loser buys the beers in Caves House.

Fats said...

ah Tom! You're a funny guy!

Let's compare PBs from 3k to marathon shall we? I think you owe me 5-10 minutes at least.

Unknown said...

Fats, let's get serious here. There are beers at stake. If I have a stretch goal of 3:45 and, given your form you must be targeting 3:30 at the very least, a 15min head start for me (my best and last offer) is very generous.

Jamie, understand what you're saying. It's very competitive at the pointy end of HuRTS at the moment, similar to 4 years ago when Serg, Muz, Dave Dreverman and Dave Clark were all running very well. At times the training becomes too close to racing.