Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tempo time

Got a text from the Tiger yesterday suggesting a 16km tempo at 3:45s. It sounded ambitious given it would follow my first long run in 10 weeks, but you can't turn down an offer from the Tiger so agreed to meet him at 7:30am at Drummoyne Rowers. We did a warm up, he showed me all the 250m markers he'd painted on to the pathway (including the 16km end spot in large letters next to a smiley face) and we jogged back to the start.
Gary set off like a hare and I followed behind. We ran he first 4km together sharing the wind which was pretty strong and I knew which would make the tempo target all the harder. Gary dropped off coming up the bridge near 5km and I just tried to maintain 3:45's but more often than not found myself running 3:46's. My breathing was fine but the legs were dead from yesterday - no zip so I knew that to pick up the pace over the final 3km to make up for lost time would be tough. Did laps of the Bay in 26:00 and 26:12 and finished in 1:00:36. So 3:47 average pace (despite my Garmin showing 16.17km and 3:44 pace - i'll take Gary with Action's measuring wheel every time). Gary finished in the 63's. Another good one under the belt. I'm convinced these long tempos will do some good.

No comments: