Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in Review

I started the year with a perfect January - ran every day of the month (first time ever) and put in a good base. First race of the year was a disappointing result in the "Sun Run" and probably won't bother with that race again. I don't normally moan about race fees but $50 for a 7km on roads I train on every day was a bit steep. In any case, I'm planning on taking the Striders 10km series more seriously next year given the attention Macca, Ben, CT and others are paying to it.

March was a PB in the Six Foot Track (I take any PB I can these days) and more good groundwork. April was my first 10km with a disappointing run at Lane Cove. In retrospect I think I was adapting to the heavier workload but I should also have been racing more. Then it was the Novice 10km where things started to improve a bit. I'll do more X-Country next year due to my ANSW duties. Then in May the 10kms started to come together with a 33:29 at Homebush (course record for me) and a 33:26 at North Head, shortly before the State 10km where I finally got under 33 mins for only the second time in a tough race. Had a good SMH Half in between running in a great pack all of the way.

Then it was a bit of a purple patch with the marathon, City to Surf and North Head 10km. That was followed by sickness and injury and a disappointing end to the season with 5 weeks of virtually nothing recovering from the achilles. But in summary:

Top 3 races:

1. North Head 10km. First win and a PB to boot over the distance I race most regularly.
2. Gold Coast Marathon. Solid first effort on a day when lots of others struggled, but there's more ground to be made.
3. SMH Half. I've picked this over the City to Surf purely because it was more of a race and I reckon that, comparatively, the time is better.

Top 3 Films:

1. The Fighter
2. The Guard
3. Bridesmaids

Top book:

A Week in December (probably makes my top 3 ever)

Top Viral Clip:

Annoying Orange meets Lady Pasta I share my kids' love for Annoying Orange.

So, there it is. Head to Heads will get refreshed. Tucks can't go missing next year otherwise I'll introduce a forfeit system. Thamal will get added as a stretch target. Looking forward to 2012. Aim is to run 2:33 at Gold Coast, go well in some 10kms and beat my long-standing Half Marathon PB. More Cross Country, more long tempo runs but otherwise more of the same.

Ta da.

2 comments:

David said...

Happy new year Chairman, you had a great year running wise, tbe Mara was a terrific effort. More track in 2012, cheers

Charlie said...

Annoying Orange? It's no wonder you are mates with Old Timmy then!

Good luck in 2012 tom. I reckon you have a 2:32 in you