Monday, July 04, 2011

Gold Coast Marathon - 24th in 2:36:40

After all the worry about health in the week leading up, woke up on the day feeling good. Andy and I were sharing the apartment so walked over the the start with him and hung about in the elite area admiring the Kenyans and Troopy etc. generally feeling a little out of place. Didn't even do a jog as a warm up and before I knew it we were on the start line wishing Ray, JB, Big Sam, Quentin, Andy and Richie P a last minute good luck.

Race plan was to go out at 3:40's at least until 25km, see if I could hold it until 30km and then just battle my way to the finish. And that's the way it went. Quickly formed a group with JB, Tongey and a couple of other guys just banging out the 3:40's like clockwork. If a split edged up to 3:42, JB or I would put a bit of an effort in to bring the next one down to 3:38. It was almost fun. I wouldn't say it ever felt entirely comfortable (I was thinking this when I was running - at any point I'd rather be sat on the beach) but it's unlike any other race where you are under pressure the whole way. It was nice to turn at Burleigh Heads and get a load of shouts and "Go Striders" from the runners going the other way. At about 18km JB gapped me. I checked my watch and I was still running 3:40's so I let him go. He seemed to struggle a bit at 23km when I caught him again and at this point I was feeling great - heading back through Surfers and knowing I'd soon be back to the start/finish line. We had dropped Tongey and the other two guys so it was just us running together and regularly overtaking runners who had gone off too quick. At the turn in Main Beach (about 29km) I sensed JB was dropping off so concentrated on running strongly up the one gentle hill on the whole course. Running through the start/finish area at 31km was magic - loads of shouts from the HuRT Squad and with splits of 3:36 and 3:37 between 30 and 32km the encouragement obviously lifted the pace. But then suddenly you're own your own again, heading away from the crowds and the finish line and past the infamous 32km mark. I caught and passed a tiring Quentin here (he had barfed 2km earlier) and was catching other runners but the km splits were dropping - 3:45, 3:47 then 3:50. It wasn't like I was hurting badly but I just couldn't make the legs move. Luckily managed to stop the slide at 3:50 and held that pace for 4kms between 35-39km. 39-40km was a struggle at 3:53 but then suddenly you can see the finish line and the mood lifts again.

The run into the finish was brilliant. Massive crowds, could hear and see JF and Timmy screaming their heads off. Saw that I was going to get under 2:37 so start waving my fists in the air like a madman. The best feeling I've had finishing a race. Got a bit emotional after crossing the line and had to pull myself together a bit before going to meet everyone.

Big thanks to JB who got me through three quarters of the race with very even splits (5km splits went 18:15, 18:22, 18:27, 18:20, 18:22, 18:26, 18:40, 19:27). But massive thanks to Big Sam and Quentin for those 35km training runs with Sam putting his foot down and banging out the sub4 min kms from 25km onwards - I'm sure they had the biggest impact. Sam himself, despite being completely out of action for nearly 4 weeks, was on for 2:46 before cramping badly at 38km.

Some big beers afters with Young Timmy (celebrating a famous victory over Enda), Tucks, Quentin, Sam, Enda, Rob and JF.

Will definitely be back for another. But it's not as hard as Six .

Me, Timmy, JB, Andy and Quentin

7 comments:

Superflake said...

Congrats on a great race Tom. Almost had it with my 2:32 prediction. A Marathon is harder than Six Foot. No place to hide and no walking allowed.

David said...

Onya Tom!
whats all this emotional stuff?
Nice post.

Anonymous said...

Great result Tom. Nice race report too. Todd

Anonymous said...

Best race of the weekend from the boys hands down. And will be in contention for HuRTS performance of the year. Congrats mate, well done. JF

Tim said...

Yep Echo JF thoughts, Run of the day by a mile and a early runner for 'Run of the Year' come presentation night (Although Kanser's was hard to beat on Saturday as well ? )

Roz said...

Great stuff Tom. Brilliant debut

James said...

Well done Tom. Great race. I was following your splits after midnight here in France wondering if you were going to make it to the end without hitting the wall badly. You only lost 90 seconds on the second half of the race which was excellent given the pace you were running at. Excellent performance and well worth a bottle of champagne waiting for you here to celebrate!