Friday, April 22, 2011

JPMorgan Chase Champs

21st in 18:16.

Hot, hot, hot. If we thought Sydney got hot and humid in summer, this was something else. Spent the whole day trying to hide in air conditioning but they arranged to bus us to the start area almost 3 hours before the race just to heat us up. I think I drank 5 bottles of Gatorade in the lead up. What this translated to was a scorching pace to start with but a question of holding on for afters.

Sprinted off and everyone was flying. After 500m Charlie starts pulling ahead and I couldn't go. He got into a nice bunch while as usual I found myself alone. Went through 1km in 3:02 then at 2km Travis comes alongside which spurred me into action a bit. 3km in 9:31 so still a quick pace but then the humidity started to take effect. A long drag of a hill between 3.5km and 5km and I was just concentrating on the back of the chap 20m in front and desperately looking for the km markers. 5km in 16:24 so a shocking 2km split but I was just hanging on with the longest finishing straight you've ever seen about to face us.

Jonno finished strongly and must have closed over the final 2km to record 18:26 as when I saw him at the turn he was running with Richie, Enda and Trav. Charlie had a great race to run 17:38. Many, many beers consumed after in a great night of celebrations. Will post pictures soon.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Top effort Tom despite the humid conditions that Singers offers. Looks like Charlie showed everyone a clean pair of heels again mind?
Look forward to hearing all about the post race goings on.
cheers

David said...

Well done Tom, Should have done a bit more training up here in Brissey to condition yourself for those conditions.
Cheers

Superflake said...

I reckon it was the pre race beers that did it.