Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Hexham vs Morpeth

Session today was the Progressive Tempo and there was a cast of thousands already assembled by the time I showed up (late). All the familiar faces were there - Wildman, Young Timmy, hot to trot Durante, Enda, Quentin, Bartles, JF, Dicky H, Pete W, Jason, JC, Rob, Sam, etc. Tucks was there but only to show us he could do the same session by himself and didn't need us. Timmy rocks up with a girl with a familiar accent who happens to be from Morpeth. Now, those not familiar with the English county of Northumberland will not realise that there there are only two towns of any note in it - Hexham (from where I came) and Morpeth (from where Sian, Timmy's friend came). The rivalry between them was similar to that between Sydney and Melbourne. I Googled a couple of pictures of the towns so that you can see which is Sydney and which is Melbourne:


Hexham



Morpeth


Anyway, a lovely girl nonetheless.

Perfect conditions today. Great session to do as you can chat for the first half before things get serious in the second. Judging by the km splits, it was a perfectly judged progressive tempo:

4:03, 4:01, 3:57, 3:51, 3:48, 3:43, 3:37, 3:25, 3:23, 3:21, 3:32, 3:28

The last 2kms blow out a bit coming up the hills.

Ran with a big group up front including Wildman, Bartles, JF, Jason, Dicky H and Quentin. After the turn (just past 6km under the first bridge on Hickson Rd), the pace stepped up again and from there it just wound up trying to drop people from the front group. Stevie really increased the pace around Farm Cove and dropped the rest of us. I tried to push on up the hills and thought I'd dropped the rest before Quentin reappeared with a sprint so I finished with him.

Nice session. Got back in 44:19 so well under, with the final Gate to Gate in under 10mins. 12.02km averaging 3:41's.

1km jog there and 2km warmdown for 15km all up.

5 comments:

Tim said...

Didn't know Kanser, Heyden and Enda Stankard had been on a 'Jolly Boys outing' and visited the home town Tom ?

sianie said...

hahaha!! I do believe these good looking lads are actually from Blyth!

I googled Hexham and found lots of images of, yes... beautiful countryside, and lots and lots of really old people!!! oh and sheep!
If you google Morpeth you will find pictures of again beautiful countryside (we do live in a lovely part of the north-east), but Morpeth is were the cool, young, sporty people live.
You will find plenty of athletes from Morpeth competing in the Nationals.... and winning, I couldn't find any athletes from Tynedale Harriers.... apart from Nick McCormick who moved to Morpeth... I'm not sure why he moved clubs.... maybe he knew were the quality athletes trained!! :-)

Unknown said...

I've tried to come up with a smart retort but you've stumped me. I have nothing. All that I could find was that Pete Doherty once lived in Hexham. But he appears to have moved on fairly swiftly. I'm not sure why.

James said...

The only interesting fact I found about Morpeth was that Jimmy Alder lived there.
Jim alder was Dad's arch rival when it came to racing in the North-East. I remember the first race that Dad managed to beat Jim, he came home with a grin so big that lasted for a week.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Alder

Tim said...

I thought the best thing about Hexham was the racecourse