Sunday, July 01, 2007

Sea World, Gold Coast

17th in the 10km in 33:02.

Plan from the start was to let Tim Ashby go (I knew he'd go off quick) and just keep him within sight until the 4km turn and then really put the effort in from 4 to 8km. Hadn't planned anything from 8km - just hold on. Also guessed that Chris Truscott would be aiming for a sub-32 so wanted to be within 20 seconds of him at the 4km turn. I'd really set my heart on a sub-33. The pace was very quick from the gun. I guess that there were about 25 people ahead of me by 2km and I was still trying to get comfortable with the pace. Tim was about 20 yards in front and Chris seemed to have disappeared off. At about 3km, I settled into a good rythmn running alongside another bloke and could see that I was closing on Tim.

Caught Tim at about 4km (I think the turn must be nearer to 5km) and really tried to pile the pressure on to drop him immediately. Chris was at least 30 seconds ahead at the turn but I figured he'd gone off quick as I knew I was travelling quite quickly. Sometimes I think not wearing a watch hampers things. From the turn things felt great. Was catching people easily and felt really strong. Hit a bit of wind between 7km and 8km (just before the bridge) which slowed things down a bit but the real struggle was the final hill at about 9km. My one mistake was not running the course beforehand to work out where the final turn came - in the end it was much closer to the final hill than I had thought and in retrospect I may have been able to push it that little more if my spirits were lifted. Having said that, I was still pretty much spent. Saw the clock in the run-in and desperately sprinted to get under 33 but it wasn't to be.

Still chuffed to bits with the time and the run. Was really encouraged to feel so good in the second half - those 90km weeks and marathon pace training are paying dividends. Being only 27 seconds behind Chris Truscott can't be bad. Tim faded badly to run 34 something. Great run by Craig Dunn to run 34:36.

Good to catch up with Kanser, Beaky and Gary beforehand. Now for an easy week before training for City to Surf starts in earnest.

3 comments:

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the run mate. Gives you about 47:13 for C2S. Yes an exact science.

26miles said...

Well done Tom.

Geez, your old man must've been a good runner - his times were world class for his age.

plu said...

I would love to know what most of you guys look like. You had just come off the bridge while I was on the way back for the marathon. You were all flying along that stretch of the water and parkland. It was great to watch as you flashed by me.

Plu