Saturday, March 03, 2007

Striders 10km Homebush

9th place in 34:31. Not sure why the time was so slow - no wind but it was very humid. My vest and shorts were drenched in sweat at the end. Disappointed with the time but not so much with the position - everyone seemed to struggle.

Had originally planned to set off at 34 minute pace with Keith Bateman. Didn't want to push it too much to start with after struggling at 3km at Lane Cove last time out but in retrospect I think I took it too easy early on. Tim Ashby had about 20 seconds on me by 3km. Ran most of the first 5km with Guy Doulman. Ray (who was only doing 5km) came past at about 4km chatting as usual - I tried to mutter some reply but was not making any sense in between gasping for breaths.

Time at 5km was 17:03 so tried to push it from there. Gradually reeled in Damian Tancred by the top of the hill between 6 and 7km and then Jake Shaw(?) going around the circular gravel path between 8 and 9km. Could see that I was catching Tim but ran out of time in the end.

2km warm up and warm down - 14km in total.

No comments: