Sunday, January 05, 2014

2013 in Review

Well, it was a year of what might have beens. Pleased to see the end of it to be honest. With Kirst getting ill, pulling out of Berlin and pulling out of our 3 month trip across Aus, it turned on its head what should have been a great year.

Having said all that, I probably got as fit as I've ever been building up towards Berlin. In retrospect, I think I started the build up a bit too early. I became obsessed about fitting in a certain number of long tempo runs, but reckon I actually peaked around mid-August. Specifically, it was a Pyramid session I did on August 22nd and the 5000m TT on 30 July that gave me most confidence. In terms of races, my top 3 were:

1. Gold Coast Half. Massive PB and what turned out to be a rare win over Barts.

2. NSW Long Course XC. Bit of a turning point when the strength started to kick in.

3. State 5000m. Good time for early in the season.

Most disappointing was City to Surf. I was in great form but was on antibiotics the week leading up to the event and never felt comfortable.

Just looked back on last year's "Year in Review" and have realised that for the second year running I didn't run a good 10km. Didn't run too many (but more than last year) with the fastest being State 10km on the road in 33:01. So I haven't run under 33 since my PB in September 2011. I was capable of it this year (going through the first 10km of GC Half in 33:27 and not slowing much from then) but didn't have the race to put it together. That has to be the aim for this year - to get back into the 32's. The other aim will likely be Melbourne Marathon in early October. But I'll start the build up later.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Nice wrap up mate , and i'm predicting a big 2014 for you, although trying to find those 8 seconds on Tucks could be a bridge to far.
Might set myself up for a tilt at Melbourne Marathon with you in October if all goes well.
Good Luck for you year ahead.
Cheers