Sunday, February 24, 2013

Equaliser - 2nd in 58:09

Drove up with Dicky and we did a 4.5km warm up with Ben and Justin - Dicky intent on getting our feet drenched and sandy before the race started. A few quick hellos - great to see Richie H show up looking lean and fit.

Set off pretty quick with Fats and I was feeling great. Ran the first 3 km following Fats closely and even entertained thoughts of tracking him all the way with a sprint to glory, but that was until the first hill appeared. This was after the creek crossing which I managed to aquaplane across on my chest. Jonny B was just behind at this stage and kept me honest up the hills. I pulled ahead of JB on the roads of St Ives (Fats being a good 200m ahead at this stage) but when we were back in the bush I came out onto one fire trail without a clue which way to go. Waited for JB who suggested right was the best option (which it was). Then pulled ahead a bit before losing my footing coming down a steep hill. Thought I'd caught my fall with 3 wild strides before hitting the deck. At this point, I decided to run with JB instead of attempting to push the pace with the aim of putting an effort in over the final km.

Felt OK on the final big hill so worked that pretty well to build up a gap. Then cruised home. Surprised to see the next guy behind me wasn't JB so he must have struggled up the final hill. Time was 58:09 or thereabouts. Good hard hit out and it was warm and humid today. In fact, we did a 10km warmdown and I was struggling for fluids at the end.

29km all up and tired.

No comments: