Friday, September 07, 2012

Tony Fattorini

400's at Rushcutters today and with it a first chance to really test the hammie. The squad was splintered into 4 different sessions so it was a select crowd of LF Charlie, Mark Milligan, Ray, Macca, Kaley, Andy, Robbie Neill, Killa and a couple more. Robbie led the way finishing about 2 secs in front on each rep. We did a whole loop of the track so it was a little over 400m. Reps went:

73, 73, 72, 73, 73, 73, 71, 71, 71, 74

Rolled off every 2:10.

All was going well until the final rep which was faster again until my hammie tightened at 200m so eased off from there.

I first remember encountering Fats (as he is universally known) when doing my first Half Marathon (SMH) in 2005. On every point of the course everyone seemed to be shouting for some fat guy. I then discovered his nickname but had already realised his popularity. He smashed me that day running 75 something and I debuted in a 77 something. Fats' true calling is running up a hill, probably as a result of his Yorkshire upbringing. His greatest running achievement is undoubtedly winning the Six Foot Track in a then record time in 2007. But an even greater quality is how humble he remains despite his huge talent. Loves a beer, but prefers them warm. An all round good bloke.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I found the Fats thing confusing too. Now I am just confused by the sheer volume of biscuits one skinny man can consume.