Wednesday, September 12, 2012

David Kane

Turned up to a smaller HuRTS crowd with no doubt a few resting up before Blackmores at the weekend. I started out relatively easily into the session but soon realised my hammie just isn't right. It's been 4 weeks now so I'm going to rest up and get it sorted properly.

Which leads us to Blackmores. The Half is shaping up as a cracker of a race. With Tucks walking up mountains overseas, Bartles nursing a sore ankle and Young Timmy claiming a new ailment with every new week, this is the race to determine HuRTS #1 and it promises to be a battle royale. J-Fen would appear to be the man in form based on training but doesn't always convert to races, particularly over the longer distance. Richie High and Fats are both in good form, Andy has the strength and Kanser the ego. But man to watch may be Macca who has been improving quietly each week and was confident enough on Tuesday to tell everyone he's going to take it out hard in the hope of breaking J- Fen's spirit. We shall see. I think it's just too close to call. But if I were a betting man (and Timmy and the Tiger know I'm not) I would put $2 and no more on Macca, if only based on his great run over the same course last year in horrendous conditions.

I first became aware of Kanser in a Striders 10km in early 2006 out at Homebush. Only 10 seconds separated 2nd place from 7th, but he was 2nd and I was 7th. I've not forgiven him since. He's probably read more about running than anyone I know and is all too happy to give you his opinion, without pulling any punches. If you have a bad run, you often have your mates tell you it wasn't so bad, or the conditions were shocking, or the course was long, but credit to Kanser, he'll just tell you you ran shit. And I like that. Especially as it allows me to tell him he ran shit too. I often get more chance to do so than he does. But in between injuries the fella has put in some great performances. His sub 33 10km PB puts him in rare company and a 73 Half isn't too shabby either. But for a connoisseur of the sport he needs to nail the marathon. His talent deserves a much better PB. I have to admit that when I ran my first marathon the first person I wanted to speak to about it was Kanser. Not to gloat about a sub 2:40, but because he lives and breathes the event and knows what's involved. Loves a beer, especially pre-race. An all round good bloke.

4 comments:

Superflake said...

Dave isn't bad on the track either.
Don't want to build him up too much Tom as Timmy might get upset.

Enda said...

Nonsense Tom I am going to smash them all...especially Kanser

David said...

A nice balance to the profile Tom, also a carefully selected photo which just might suggest a 'Chicked' run!

BeerMatt said...

Tom, what's been happening? No updates for a while. I'm guessing it's one of:

1) too injured to run
2) too busy at work to run
3) too drunk to run

1) and 3) are definitely linked. Hope all is well. BeerMatt...