Friday, September 07, 2012

Andrew Tuckey

A very easy 10km today in 44:58. Large hangover following HuRTS Drinks last night and hammie still sore.

I think I first raced Tucks in February 2007 at a Striders 10km at Lane Cove. He beat me by about 30 seconds. It's been a common theme ever since. On the rare occasion I've beaten him, it's usually down to a sprint finish. That's not to say that he hasn't got a finishing kick. I think I've just been so excited to be anywhere near him at the finish line that willpower has got me over. I think it's become a bit of a mental thing for me not to be able to get past Tucks. Most of my best races have been when he's not run. In fact, I've just realized that every one of my current PBs was done in a race that Tucks wasn't running in. Beneath the very calm exterior there's a fierce competitor in him. About 12 months ago he started doing a few more trail runs and ultras and has taken them by storm. Currently in Interlaken, Switzerland about to run the world long course mountain running champs. Good luck for that mate. But, like I said about Ray, Tucks will do any race from track to road to cross country to trail. He performs just as well over 3000m on the track as he does 100km in the mountains. The all round runner. And boy, what a marathon PB. Also likes a beer. An all round good bloke.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I'm guessing you saw this Tom

http://ultra168.com/2012/08/30/andrew-tuckey-world-mountain-running-championship-contender/