Saturday, September 01, 2012

Richard High

Got up after 4 hours sleep nursing a monster hangover. Jogged up to North Head and stood in the freezing cold directing cars. Had a quick chat with the boys intending to jog the 10km when James asks if I'll do the 40min pacing role. I agreed as I thought it would keep me honest. I'm the world's worst pacer. Felt great while running and kept on drifting down to 3:50's. Went through 5km in 19:32. Some bloke told me at 6km I was going way too fast. Ended up running backwards between 8 and 9km trying to gee up the runners. Had to do the last km in 4:20 so walked the last 40m to cross the line in 40:00.


Then ran home. 17km all up. Hammie ok. Still hungover.


Richie joined the 4 of us in the second or third session the squad ever ran, so is effectively one of the founder members. He is one of those blokes who only needs about 3 weeks of consistent training to get super fit. Having said that, he's always coming back from some injury or another. Plenty of speed having been a great 800m runner as a kid (1:55 or thereabouts) so all he ever needs is a few long runs in the legs. Probably the only person who's run JPMorgan more times than I have, but not sure he's ever run a marathon? We share a birthday (and almost a surname) but he's an old man and turns 40 next week whereas I'm still a whipper snapper. An all round good bloke. In fact, voted so in the HuRT Squad awards last year.

No comments: