Monday, July 12, 2010

Gold Coast 10km and FNQ Holiday

Got what I was looking for at the Gold Coast. Arrived in plenty of time and soaked up the atmosphere. Caught up with Dave Sweeney beforehand and had a quick chat and admired the likes of Shelley and Troop doing their warm ups. You get plenty of space as a preferred starter at Gold Coast - another part of their top organisation. We were held for a while which just heightened the nerves and then were off. As usual, the pace was frantic to start with. I tried to calm myself early on and saw Dave up ahead. Passed Dave just after the 1km marker and found myself in a group of about 6 who all seemed to be going the same pace. This was perfect. I caught splits of 6:24 at 2km, 9:40 at 3km and 13:01 at 4km so the pace was perfect. However, it seemed to be floating to the front of the group between 4 and 5km so the pace was obviously slowing a little but was too scared to take it on myself so just settled in. However, I turned the U-Bend at 4.8km badly and this was followed shortly after by a small hill where a group of 4 gapped me. I was then by myself but just concentrated on their backs to avoid the elastic snapping.

This being the Gold Coast, we then started to have a procession of talented younger runners who were being chewed up and spat out having gone off too quick in the first half. I passed one and we almost caught the group of 4 in front of us (within 5 yards) before they slowly drifted off again. I was just digging in now. 5km had passed in 16:25 and given the fast start I knew a sub-33 was unlikely but concentrated on maintaining the pace to make sure I was under 33:30 - my original aim. From 8km onwards I was passing quite a few and starting to gain on the group of 4 again. 9km in 30:02 and I knew the sub 33:30 was in the bag so just put my head down. The final straight before you turn into the finishing chute seemed to go on forever. Finished up in 33:21 (33:19 net). My 7th fastest 10km so I'm getting back on track.

Caught up with Dave and the legendary Ronnie Peters (not just for his running performances for his age, but his honest coolrunning comments too) afterwards. Dave seemed a bit disappointed with his 34:32 but to run that time so soon after injury was very impressive - I didn't think he'd get under 35. Shows what natural talent he has.

Was planning on running the Half the next day but woke up too sore and decided it wouldn't do me much good for the rest of the season. All eyes are on C2S now. Some great performances though, in particular JB who ran a fantastic 1:11:49. Gary owes me some cash but still put in a credible 1:16:04 (gun, we only count gun, so that will be $100). Timmy had a gutsy run in the marathon off the limited training he's done to run 2:50, although he did manage to let a grey haired chap pip him on the line. I've got a couple of photos that I'll post this evening.

Took Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off while travelling North and was itching to get out by Wednesday. Did 10km each day (Wed - Sat) in Port Douglas in 39:52, 41:07, 38:24 and 42:58. It's dead flat and you you can't help but run quickly in the warmth. Then did 24km yesterday in 1:46:02.

1 comment:

Superflake said...

Mr Binfield was quite pleased with his PB at the STAR on sunday. I looked for your name in the half and saw DNS and thought something was wrong. Didn't even look up the 10k. Good run.