Sunday, May 27, 2018

ANSW Relays

Arrived early with the Striders tent and for Maggie’s Under 12 relay at noon. She ran great, going second leg and looking strong on the hills which bodes well for her District XC in 10 days over a longer distance (3km).  She ran 8:28 and was 5th fastest on the day with her team picking up a silver medal.





Then started to get nervous for my race. Rejoov had a strong +35yrs team with me first leg, Eoin, Jerome then CT. I’ve raced once this year so was pretty unsure as to how I’d go. At least had Crossy and Jack running the same leg so people to look out for.

Headed out quickly just ahead of Crossy and Jack but with 2 big groups ahead.  Pace was face (that first km always is) but felt ok. Then Crossy comes past on the back field and I try to stick to him but up the hills he’s too strong and gaps me. Great cheers from Timmy, Mags, CT, LJ, Strommy and Elle though. Some guy from Athletics East (James Costello) comes by at about half way and from then on it’s just a case of hanging on with nervous glances at every turn to see where Jack is.

Finished in 13:49 (same as CT, 4s behind Jerome and Eoin just over 14 - but admittedly I had the easier leg). But we dominated the Over 35’s so I got a nice gold medal to go with Maggie’s silver.

10km all up and Mrs LJ came through with the best scones!






No comments: