Monday, July 06, 2015

Gold Coast Marathon - 26th in 2:33:09

Well, that was hard.

Enjoyed an easy start to the morning.  Craig and I found out way to the elite athlete area.  This was a very nice set up with grandstand views of the finish line and we just saw 70 minutes tick over before Eloise came through (wow, what a run) before Barts, Alex and Lewis then came through in quick succession.

Then off to the start line.  Few hellos to Andy, Hoey et al and we were off.  Settled into the first km with Craig trying not to go too quick.  Rowan Wker comes past with a big group but let them drift ahead.  Another group including the first female being paced by Jackson Elliott comes past at about 5km so I ask what pace they're aiming for - he says 3:28's so again I let them go.  Craig drops off somewhere around 7km and I'm now running with the second female but the 3:30's still feel very comfortable.

Just concentrating on reaching the 15km turn at this stage.  At dinner the night before, Tom Buckley said something about knowing how well the race will go at 15km.  Well, I turned at 15km, saw Hoey was fairly close behind but Craig appeared to be having a bad day.  And then suddenly trying to run 3:30's became a whole lot harder.  I managed to just about hold them to half way but I realised then that it was going to be a massive struggle to get home.  The splits show that:

Hoey comes past at 23km bouncing along and I wave him on telling him he's looking great.  I'm now running 3:35's and it's hurting.  Gary appears on his bike, asks how I'm feeling and I tell him I feel like crap.  I can tell he thinks I look like crap too.  He's a great fella Gary, but not very good at hiding his true feelings.

Huge shouts from Clyde at Surfers and then LJ, Jeet (who had a fab sub80 run in the Half) and crew at Main Beach and then Angus on the Broadwater side of Main Beach.  Here's a photo from Angus at 28km:


At this point, Hoey (who's still only about 30m in front) takes a wrong turn due to some dopey traffic warden looking the wrong way, but quickly gets back on track.  Heading back into the crowds at the start finish area and I'm now really hurting and trying to hold 3:45's.  Barts offers some coke but I wave him away, being very ungrateful.  Can't concentrate on anything other than getting to the finish line.  The final 7km is just a world of hurt, trying different running positions to get a bit more pace into the legs and just keep the turnover going.  A Japanese fella overtakes me at 40km (I'd overtaken him earlier while he was running 4:30's!) but I don't care.  Turn back onto the main road and can see the final turn but it's so far away.  Eventually get there, turn the final corner, see the clock ticking over in the 2:32's but don't even bother to try to get under 2:33, I just want to stop.  And then, finally I can.

Have a chat to Dean and Julia then wait to see Craig come in on 2:36 having had an off day.  Then Andy and Matt Gibson race in on 2:37 with Andy having had a great run and negative split.  Next is Macca on 2:43 having also had an off day.  Maybe Hogs Breath Cafe the night before wasn't the great idea we thought it was at the time.

But run of the day goes to Hoey.  A low 2:30 in those conditions was sensational and the way he ran the race was perfect.

Then for some trash talk and beers in the beautiful surrounds of the Southport SLSC hearing about Barts eventually hauling in Lewis, how much of the work Neil did, how CT did exactly what we predicted and how LJ "jogged" around for 82mins. Wasn't she supposed to "jog" with Clyde, who himself managed to beat Enda?  The latter needs to retire after yet another underperformance.

And now back at the ranch for a bit of R&R.

Would I have rather run the Half with such a good pack?  Maybe.  But there's something very satisfying about doing the marathon even if you don't quite do what you wanted.  Anyone who finished that yesterday is deserving of huge respect - Birchy, Sonya, Jacquie, TKS - all suffered but got through.

2 comments:

Enda said...

Harsh. A PB in a C race 4 months out from the main goal race of the year and 3 weeks after a long holiday...
But disappointing from you alright;-)

Charlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.