Saturday, May 28, 2011

North Head 10km - 5th in 33:26

Stood on the start line in cold conditions next to Thamal wondering how to tackle the race. I wanted to be aggressive like last month but didn't want to make the same mistake as last year in sheltering everyone from the wind and giving them a free ride. We quickly settled into a leading group of 5 - myself, Thamal, Quentin, Bleasel and a young chap called Jonathan Hew. Thamal and I did most of the work. I ran without a watch again and, with no clocks on the course, I was completely blind. We stayed together as a group until the end of the loop at the end of the first lap (i.e. about 5.5km) when I started to drop off. My legs were just dead. Was still turning them over OK but just had no zip or strength today. I'm guessing it's the effects of a big week this week.

Found out later we went through 5km in 16:30. Jonathan Hew developed a rocket up his arse at 8km and immediately gapped the rest of them by 20m, with only Quentin chasing. This meant that Thamal dropped off which at least gave me something vaguely to chase to keep me honest. Bleasel is looking stronger by the week. Results here.

So a bit disappointed to be 30 seconds behind Quentin but I was surprised with the time as I thought I had completely blown out over the final 4km. I'm thinking I might take 3 days off after tomorrow's long run to freshen up. I'm constantly tired and the achilles is sore. I figure this will freshen me up before State 10km next week where I hope to go under 33. However, it may not be ideal to take 3 days off 5 weeks out from the marathon. Would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Special mention to Sam who is getting stronger by the week to run 34:57 (a minute improvement in 3 weeks!). Helped along by Ray who has now entered GCM too and ran 35:01 after a 20km warm up.

5 comments:

James said...

Focus on your objective. If your real objective is the marathon, then continue the mileage and forget the 10k results. Get over the fact that you won't be going under 33' for 10k but you've got some serious money to take at GCM !!! Marathon training is hard and as you pile on the mileage there are plenty of times when you feel like resting for several days. You can only afford to do this in the last 2 weeks before the race.

Tim said...

Words of Wisdom from younger brother.....now just get over it :)
Classic.

David said...

I thought that piling mileage onto a sore achilles might not be wise and support a 3 day rest.
Good Run - I only look at my watch once or twice at most in a race.

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

What are you talking about! Tired after 2 easy days leading into striders. With 5 weeks left you should be in knocking out as many kms as possible. I actually dont know why you raced on Saturday. You should only pick a handful of races leading into a marathon. Anyhow I would take Master Sweeney's advice and rest up as the damage is done. Hopefully you will be ok but what in the hell where u thinking running long on Monday and backing up with a lactate threshold session on the Tuesday. As I've told you before getting to the start line is your first of many goals in the marathon.

Roz said...

Stress + Rest = Adaptation

Stress + Stress = Injury