Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Timmy Combo HuRTS Session

You can tell C2S is around the corner.  A huge turnout today, perhaps the biggest ever.  Fortunately Mikey had put up two sessions to choose from - the new Timmy combo (20mins of continuous hills pushing both downs and ups followed by a 5km tempo) or the usual 8 x 5mins.  CT, Quentin and Deano were leading the 5min reps while Clarkey, Muz, Crossy, Andy and Tucks joined me for the Timmy combo.  God knows what Enda was doing.  Tapering for a Time Trial.  That bloke has a lot to learn.

"The Hill" was about 150m from the football pitch above the Domain Carpark to the Robbie Burns statue then straight back down.  I started quite conservatively with Clarkey, Muz and Crossy up ahead but Tucks taking it even more easy than me.  And thank God I did.  Looked at my watch at 5mins and thought, far out, I'm only 25% into this and struggling already.  Noticed that I was keeping pace on the ups but starting to catch the lads in front on the downs.  At about halfway I went past Crossy and Muz and then caught Clarkey who was having a few problems with his ITB.  He took a rep out to stretch it then joined me again for the final 5 mins. 

Was a pretty brutal session in its own right, with us all looking pretty apprehensive about the tempo about to follow.  Split into 3 groups, a 4min km group, a 3:45 group and a 3:30 group.  Set off with Muz, Clarkey and Crossy running together - Tucks, Andy, Macca and Phil a bit further back.  It was strange to be running with dead legs but managed to hold it together OK.  Went through km markers in 3:22, 3:15, 3:20, 3:22 then 2:56 for the final 830m (3:32 pace) for 16:15 all up.  Clarkey pulled ahead at 3km and stormed home.  Muz and Crossy dropped off at about 3.5km but then on the hill near the Art Gallery I hear footsteps behind, assume Crossy has recovered well but suddenly see Tucks fly past!  That sly old dog.  Coming into form when it matters.

Long warm down with MC, Andy, Clarkey and Jeet for 15km all up.

1 comment:

Enda said...

Well excuse me, call me silly but I thought that the prospect of 3 races in a week just three weeks out from a hard marathon was foolhardy.... But then again what do I know...!