Sunday, August 05, 2012

Regents Park 10km

Well, last night was the greatest night of athletics I've ever seen. The 10,000m was insane. Screamed at Benny the whole way through and by 5 laps in had 10 random people around me doing the same thing. The noise on the final laps was beyond anything I've heard, literally 80,000 people screaming their heads off. Just amazing.

I was emotionally drained by the end and the last thing I fancied doing this morning was a race. But I'd promised Andy so rocked up to Regents Park for a 10km race. About 700 people had the same idea. The organisers were a bit overwhelmed. Set off feeling ok and took the lead. It's a 3 lap course and was still in the lead at the end of the first lap. But then I just felt really tired. Breathing was fine but legs just dead. The 2 front guys got away and I just held on for third finishing in 34:10. Beaten by a yank and a Pom in a 10km in London. I know how Bekele feels. Andy was a couple of places back in 5th running 35:00, feeling similarly jet lagged.

Off now for another big night of Athletics and Usain in the flesh.

This video of the BBC commentators watching the end of the race is Gold!

No comments: