Tuesday, March 10, 2009

HuRTS - 6 x 5mins

Training is following a familiar pattern at the moment. Haul myself out of my office chair at 12.10pm. Limp with sports bag to the lift. Get changed in changing rooms feeling sore in both achilles and the legs. Start jogging to the rendezvous point at about 8 mins p/km wondering how I'm ever going to do the session. Meet the lads. Quick chat. Everyone looks fitter and more keen than me. Set off. Feel terrible. Barely able to move legs and struggling at 3:40 per/km pace. Feels hot and humid - is it hot and humid? Second rep - not much better. How come everyone has suddenly gotten so quick? Where has Durante's weight gone? When did John Binfield become so fit? Ah, at least Serg looks as though he's struggling. 3rd, same. 4th rep, starting to feel OK. Have we slowed down? Check watch. No, we're actually running quicker. 5th rep, feels good. I'm at the front! Pace is quicker again yet feels easier. Oh, here's a hill and there go Durante and John. I can't run hills. How am I going to be able to cope with Six Foot? At least my singlet looks good. 6th rep. All feels great now. Only doing 6 today so let's speed it up and see how I feel. Feels great - 3:17 pace. Stop for water. Have a short rest. Legs seize up. Start trying to jog. More painful than running quickly. When will I ever feel good again?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mate Your Sounding More and More Like me !

James said...

It's age Tom. You can't fight it !

I think that you may be pushing it a little too hard. You need to ease off the mileage every now and then to let the body recover and to improve overall.

Find the pleasure in running again.

Anonymous said...

Put your feet up and do nothing for the next three days Tom. It will make the world of difference.

David said...

Tommy I loved this post! It asks all the questions we all ask ourselves from time to time! There is no rhyme nor reason, we just run! Good Luck in the 6Ft, I think you are slightly mad for doing it but I respect it as somewhat of a Sydney runners institution.Take Care!