Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Bet

Training this morning with Carl and massage with Gary this afternoon (for which I got paid $23 after cleaning up on two $50 bets recently). So another bet had to be laid and Serg was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Caught up with Benny and Clyde, Serg, MC and Durante for the usual Centennial route but I cut short at the Fox Studios gates for a gentle 12km. Just before peeling off, the conversation turned to Benny's great 5km run where we were working out splits per lap. Turns out it's about 65 seconds per lap, to which Serg says he could stay on board for about 1500m on the basis his PB for 1500m was 4:05. However, he went on to say that that mark was "pretty crap" and that it should be well under 4:00. With my PB being a good 19 seconds slower, I challenged him that he'd never get under 4:00 for the rest of his life. Serg immediately grasped my hand like he was settling the takeover of Rio Tinto and said "how much?". I said $200. He said $500. I said you're on. He quite gracefully offered up a time limit of 3 years. Clyde said we should index to CPI. I agree. So watch out 11th March 2012. I think Serg will be somewhere in his 40's by then so should be interesting. If he and Gary find a race to pace each other I may have to go and speak to Westpac.

Of course I have huge respect for Serg as a runner, but a 3:59 1500m is very different to a 68minute Half....

Further banter yesterday between Serg and Muz has led me to introduce a head to head table on the blog for 2009. I've added CT just because I know a runner of my inferior ability comparing himself to him will piss him off. DNF's count as win's in my book. Let me know if you want to be added to the list...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom v Terence (Six Foot Track)

Anonymous said...

Tom you can add me to the head to head comps as long as pace making duties count and Round 1 Lane Cove is included to start things off

To Anonymous i am seriously tempted on taking a bet Tom will beat TB in 6 foot....Tom anything i need to know before this goes ahead?

Durante

Meinir said...

Do you know Tom hates hills? That doesn't help. Although I think he'll smash it on Sat.

Tucks said...

Logged in as Meinir, sorry about that

Superflake said...

A 68min half projects to a 3:56 1500m on Mcmillan. Anyone who runs 4:12 at Six Foot can certainly run hills strong.
Good luck Saturday Tom.

Unknown said...

Durante - I've got some good inside oil. I'm crap on hills, not keen on the long stuff and am out in Manly on the piss tonight. Other than that, I'm feeling pretty confident.

I'll add you to the Head to Heads but Lane Cove can't count. I might have considered it if you'd at least got under 34.

Anonymous said...

Mike, dont forget TB is younger, stronger, less injury proned and has been training in the bush doing 4-5 hour long runs. Tom has just been doing easy flat 2 hour runs around Manly and slacking on the interval stuff.

I see Tom leading down to Coxs River, to the top of Pluvi and then getting run down by TB with 7-8k to go. TB is targeting 3.40 this year (lets say 3:45) so Tom needs to run a 30 min pb to beat him.

I have $20 on TB

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, If Mr Durante gets cold feet and doesn't want to take your bet - I will:) As good a runner as Terrance is ( and most improved)I still consider Tom the class act plus the fact i've never lost a bet on him yet........just ask Kanser and Durante:)

Cheers
Tim

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom

Best of luck for six foot. Have a good run.

Cheers
Richard P

Anonymous said...

Good luck my friend !

Wonder what the projection of a 3:59:99 1500m is for sixfoot...

Serg.

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow Tom.

PB

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Best of luck tomorrow Tom, you can add me down on the head to head...there is only one race that I am interested in and that's Gold Coast..